Monday, January 19, 2009

Shopping

Today was our day off of training, so after cleaning up & breakfast, we grabbed a rickshaw & went into town. I forgot to bring a hat, so was quite a spectacle with my blond hair & white skin. I don't mind the staring so much, I'm sure that if the shoe were on the other foot, I'd stare, too!

I didn't help myself by buying sarongs. You would think that this is a natural choice, given the heat, but women dont wear them, just men. I also bought some men' s t-shirts because they are thin & breezy & it is soooo hot (my feet look like piggy sausages!). After flummoxing the poor kid helping us, I redeemed myself by getting some shawls in the ladies department. We really do need to cover the shoulders & I only brought long sleeved wraps (see above).
When we arrived back at the house, I changed into some of the cooler clothing & Kanjala immediately made a sari out of what I had bought. The whole house giggled & giggled & my new nickname is "kerala lady".

Going to town is quite the big effort, so now time for resting..

No comments:

Post a Comment