Saturday, January 24, 2009

Less Doing, More Doing

Today was interesting.

The new group is settling into each other & we miss Manuel. Sam is practicing at a different Kalari, so we aren't seeing him. Gerhard & I are settling into the new house. We have a baby cow that grazes in our yard. I've named him Milton. I am trying to figure out how to get Milton on the plane, so he can come home with me. I think Buttercup would love a friend like Milton. I am re-learning how to be a non-wiggly passenger on the back of a scooter... it's been busy!

I didn't get much sleep due to some curious locals peeping around the house a couple of times in the night. I think I may have gotten 2-3 hours of sleep in total, & I was bummed. If you're tired, you can't train at the same level- no power. So I was already a bit out-of-sorts when we started morning practice, but much to my surprise, I had somehow had a breakthrough in the physical body. Things were flowing & strong, under good control & focused. I was really ready to tear it up.

Ramesh had another idea. (A side note: Ramesh is one of our teachers, who, incidentally, laughs HYSTERICALLY when anyone gets hurt & says "yes, it is like that, better tomorrow, hee hee hee".) Even though I was strong today, he had me do a short practice, nothing new, nothing twice, a lot of rest. I was a bit disappointed.

Now I know. I got my arse handed to me in the afternoon practice...you may have seen it coming, but I sure didn't.

I did these things called sitting turning kicks & sitting splits kicks. Yup, they are as bad as they sound & that was only a third of the practice. Thank goodness for the ocean. The swimming really loosens the muscles & it is so nice to get some of the dirt, sweat & oil off.

Next time they tell me to rest, I think I'll just take a seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment