Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Just Like Football

I love football- specifically college football (hook 'em Horns!). In football, you know it's getting serious & close to the opening of the season when the "two-a-days" begin. It's an exciting time, but tough for the players. bodies tire quickly & a whole new rhythm emerges, strengthening the players and pulling the team together .

Today we started "two-a-days". This means hard practice in the morning, and less hard practice in the afternoon. It was also my first day to practice with Sherifka. I was super nervous once again! I was so distracted that I slammed my foot down doing something easy & split my toe open (don't worry, nothing big, just mindless). Of course, Sherifka was unbelievable in practice ( I think he can jump as high as my head & move as fast as a cheetah- same goes for teaching.

He has that way of efficiency that only true masters have: communicating not only physical alignment, but also energetic alignment, history and purpose in one small sentence.

I also am learning that the teachers here move you with their energetic field. It is truly unbelievable to catch their gaze & know that they are steadying your balance, or firing up your center. I have never experienced anything like it. Once again, feeling incredibly grateful to be here, I am learning not only how to practice Kalari, but also how o be a better teacher.

We also practiced in the new Kalari today, it is so beautiful, the red clay is for sure my favorite surface to practice on. I can't quite explain how the literal connection to earth strengthens & energizes the practice. I have got to figure out a way to get a pit at the studio!

One last 1st: I started wearing the traditional uniform today: wrap-like pants that just cover the knee & open at the sides. It took a bit of finagling, but I finally figured out how to get them on my body for morning practice. In the afternoon, not so much. I had selected a pair that were WAAAAYYY too big & the other woman here, Janet, & I laughed & laughed -so hard that we couldn't dress & we delayed the afternoon practice at least 10 minutes. Oh well, live & learn!

1 comment:

  1. What and adventure Jennifer Ellen! Keep the updates coming!!! We miss you but are so thankful for your willingness to share.

    On the home front... no baby to report..yet..but he's officially "due" this weekend so we'll see when the timing is right.
    namaste
    -sabrena

    ReplyDelete