Monday, February 16, 2009

Goodness, Gracious, Great Balls of Oil!

It's been a few days since I blogged, you can blame the treatment. Wow! It takes a bunch of energy & although I am inside for a big chunk of the day, I just haven't been able to even think about getting on the computer to write (well, I have thought about it, but that's as far as it's gotten...).

I wake up a little later than for practice (7am) and wash my face, feet & hands, brush teeth, take ayurvedic medicines & am ready to go. Lucky for me, it's just a few steps to the treatment room from my bedroom.

The only thing I wear during treatment is a piece of cloth hanging from (or tucked into) a string tied around my waist. This was an adjustment.

In the U.S., we're used to low lights, nice smelling oils, music & draping cloth. I am face down, up sitting or standing (that's right, standing in the altogether) on a tile floor covered by a palm-leaf mat in fluorescent lighting, right next to the kitchen, and the only music is the occasionally crackling loudspeaker from the temple across the way. This is not a spa.

I am receiving Marma treatment and Kyrie one right after the other. Jamsheer and Ramesh give me the Marma treatment massage and Annil, Somen and Adrika give me the Kyrie.

The marma treatment begins sitting. Oil is poured on the head, then rubbed in every which way (this is a real mess to comb out later). Each stroke has a specific direction and number of repetitions and they all are getting progressively more intense building to the purging day, which is Friday.

After they finish the head, I lay on my stomach and the full body work over begins. The most painful parts are the backs of my knees and my glutes. The common phrase around here is "when Ramesh gets out his thumbs..." I usually breathe deep into it, but oh my, oh my. This goes on & I flip like a pancake, back to sitting, then it finishes standing. I am learning a lot about being in my body and where I hold judgements about myself. It is hard on an emotional level, as well as a physical level, but I can see and feel a big difference in my body already, and know that it is healing on such a deep level.

After about 15 minutes of rest, I go to the treatment room outside the house where Adrika has been cooking round satchels of herbs in hot oil to make a paste to be pounded and then rubbed in to my skin by Annil and Somen. I have to admit, this is the most difficult thing for me to handle. The oil the first two days was really really hot and I was getting burned a little - nothing serious or even lasting, but painful nonetheless, and for some reason, this pain was also bringing the most difficult emotions with it. I thought I might have to quit the Kyrie, but after Jamsheer and Ramesh talked to Annil (thanks to Gerhard..India style communication), the oil was much cooler and I think I will survive after all.

Once I am finished with the Kyrie, I have to let the paste sit on my skin (and the oil in my hair & everywhere) for three hours before showering. I am sure that I will have that smell with me for the rest of my life!

I wrote before that I can't go outside during a big chunk of day, but there are exceptions if you're not in direct sunlight. I can't swim in the ocean, and only limited trips to the roof. Obviously, no practice, and the worst: no sleeping -except if I am REALLY tired, I can have a nap after lunch, which I do every day, because I am REALLY tired.

Everyone here is super supportive and very understanding, especially if I just need to sit in my room and be quite for a while. We all know the deal, and we give each other the respect and space to deal with the process without judgement and without making it a drama. Once again, I must mention my gratitude for all these experiences, and for the opportunity to really heal my body and my spirit.

These chances are rare and special. I know what a gift it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment